Assessment and Approval of Foster Carers
Fostering services: Assessment and approval of foster carers: Amendments to the Children Act 1989 Guidance and Regulations. Volume 4: Fostering Services.
This guidance is for local authorities and their staff, including:
- Children’s services social workers.
- Supervising social workers.
- Front-line managers who have particular responsibilities in relation to looked-after children.
- Directors of children’s services.
- Managers of services for looked-after children.
- Commissioners of services for looked-after children.
It is also relevant to independent fostering services and foster carers. Looked-after children and the families of looked-after children may also have an interest.
This guidance replaces the following paragraphs of volume 4 ‘Children Act 1989: fostering services’:
- 5.29 to 5.38 (assessment and approval of foster carers).
- 5.42 to 5.44 (independent review mechanism).
- 5.46 to 5.53 (the usual fostering limit).
- 5.59 to 5.63 (reviews and terminations of approval of foster carers).
- 5.39 to 5.41 (the decision-maker).
Related statutory guidance:
- Volume 1 – Children Act 1989: court orders.
- Volume 2 – Children Act 1989: care planning, placement and case review.
- Volume 3 – Children Act 1989: transition to adulthood for care leavers.
- Volume 4 – Children Act 1989: fostering services.
- Volume 5 – Children Act 1989: children’s homes.
Information, Help and Support
Help and support created for foster carers, by foster carers, we are the experts by experience. We have the first foster carers knowledge bank.
Access both the open pages and members area. Both are free to access and footprint-free. The member’s area gives you privileged confidential access to FosterWiki’s experts by experience for advice and guidance. You will also find short courses and guides from the foster carer’s perspective, top tips, allegation help, templates, and the ability to add to FosterWiki. With more content being uploaded regularly.
Please let us know what information or advice pages you would find useful and we will put them in place. https://fosterwiki.com/register/