Adoption (Intercountry Aspects) Act 1999
Summary of Adoption (Intercountry Aspects) Act 1999
Amends the Adoption Act 1976 (“the 1976 Act”) and the Adoption (Scotland) Act 1978 (“the 1978 Act”) in respect of intercountry adoption; enables the United Kingdom to ratify the 1993 Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in respect of Intercountry Adoption; this was concluded at the Hague on 29 May 1993 on behalf of Great Britain and will be implemented mainly in regulations. Northern Ireland intends to introduce legislation at a later date to give effect to the Convention; introduces sanctions to deal with unacceptable practices in intercountry adoption.
Implementation of Convention
- Convention adoption orders.
- Effect of Convention adoptions in England and Wales.
- Effect of Convention adoptions in Scotland.
- Annulment of Convention adoptions etc.
- Acquisition of British citizenship by Convention adoptions.
- Meaning of “Convention adoption” and related expressions in 1976 and 1978 Acts.
- Adoption Service to include intercountry adoptions etc.
- Approval of adoption societies to provide intercountry adoption services.
- Six months residence required for certain intercountry adoptions.
- Registration of certain intercountry adoptions.
- Construction of certain references in 1976 and 1978 Acts.
Miscellaneous and supplemental
- Restriction on bringing children into the United Kingdom for adoption.
- Amendments and repeals.
- Savings for adoptions etc. under 1965 Convention.
- Short title, interpretation, commencement and extent.
Information, Help and Support
Help and support created for foster carers, by foster carers, we are the experts by experience. We have the first foster carers knowledge bank.
Access both the open pages and members area. Both are free to access and footprint-free. The member’s area gives you privileged confidential access to FosterWiki’s experts by experience for advice and guidance. You will also find short courses and guides from the foster carer’s perspective, top tips, allegation help, templates, and the ability to add to FosterWiki. With more content being uploaded regularly.
Please let us know what information or advice pages you would find useful and we will put them in place. https://fosterwiki.com/register/